News
Passion Week 2018
detailed program

Read More
Subscribe
comments

there are two pastor right now in our church

prem
its good site, heplful about religious, happy new year

pramodini singh
Read More
....................................
Name :
comment :
Hit / Counter

counter widget

History

Jaipur

Maharaja Sawai Jai Singh laid the foundation of Jaipur in 1727. The city of Jaipur was named after this able ruler who was not only a great Mathematician but was also a popular astronomer. The city was planned and designed by Vidhyadhar Bhattacharya. Jai Singh and his successors painted Jaipur white and yellow. In 1876, Maharaja Ram Singh painted the town pink in Honour of Prince Albert's visit.  Even since then, Jaipur was called - 'Pink City'.

 

The establishment of Scottish Mission in Jaipur

In 1866, Dr. Collin S. Valentine established the Scottish Mission  in the State. Having rendered medical aid to the royal family, Valentine was offered to shift from Beawar to Jaipur to provide his services to the state. He accepted the Maharaja's invitation and was appointed as his personal doctor, in addition of becoming the State's Education Minister. This is how the Scotland Mission reached Jaipur.

In 1868, Dr. Valentine was given a Quarter near Hathroi Fort, by the state government. In 1871, Maharaja gifted a Piece of Land to Dr. Valentine, which is now known presently as Mission Compound at Ajmer Road. 

In 1872, Rev. John Trail was sent to assist Dr. Valentine and together they gathered people to form a clergy. Following this in June, 1872 First Church in Jaipur which was On Roll was Started, with 10 Communicant Members.

Following the death of Maharaja Ram Singh II, Valentine's Post had lapsed and he was sent to Agra. The Vacuum was filled by the two agents, Rev. George Macalister and Rev. John Trail. Rev. Macalister  handled the Education department. In 1877 the Anglo Vernacular School came in to being, along with Eight other mission schools in Jaipur.

Daily bible classes brought about the positive character of the students. Dr B.S. Paul was the 1st Head master of the high school. Rev. John Trail believed that proper functioning of the clergy was most important and so on. February 25, 1883, three elders namely, J.N. Benjamin, Babu R. Philip and Pandit Isa Das were elected in the Ist session.

Having rendered its selfless and dedicated services in the field of education, The Scottish mission was the hearts of the sick and distressed by providing medical assistance. In 1931, a new hospital for women was instituted and run by Dr. Liliyas Thompson. Mr A.R. Law replaced John Trail in 1909. He was also given credit for enhancing goodwill and promoting united worship at the Chandpole Church every month.

The Maharaja allotted 122 sq. ft. land to the missionaries for a Burial Ground in Pital Factory on December 8,1906. In 1910, Rev. A.P.C. Jameson was posted in the mission and together with Rev. A.R. Law, they had a new objective: to build a Church.

In 1912, Maharaja Madho Singh Jee donated 43515 sq. ft. land to erect at church at Chandpole gate. In 1915, the construction of the Chandople church began under the supervision of the popular chief engineer late Col. Sir Steven Jacob. A clock costing Rs.2000/- was installed by Maharaja Madho Singh Jee on the tower of the church on May 7,1922. The I0NA cross on its dome is a sign of the Scottish missionary victory. Rs. 33000/- was invested to build this Church. In 1914 Rev. W.G. Aur was inducted in  Jaipur mission.

On March 11, 1917 the church was opened to the clergy for worship. Rev. Yohan Masih was the main preacher to the 300 people who were present in the church.  A  Marble Font, Costing Rs. 232/- was donated by All Saints Church, Jaipur.

Young Women Christian Association Donated tables, Chairs and Curtains. On march 23, 1919, a new organ was played in church. On November 20,1937 Rev. Sadiq Imamuddin was appointed as the first local Priest.

On June 12,1988 a Marble cross was fixed at the main entrance Gate. The Youth donated a Fountain on November 14,1999. On May 7,2001 Rev. Z.R. Masih laid the foundation of a Church hall and Guest house. A Big Generator was purchased on July 22,2007. On December 24,2008 flooring in Kota Stone was Done Behind the Church. All the Construction would not have been possible without the support and Contribution of the local Clergy.

In this way the Jaipur Clergy which was initiated on October 13, 1967 with the Baptism of Isa Das is at present, a clergy comprising of 1062 Communicants On Roll.  

The Word of the Lord was Fulfilled in this way –“Even your smallest and humblest Family, will become as great as a Powerful nation.When the Right Time Comes, I will make this Happen Quickly. I am the LORD!”        Isaiah 60:22

                                                 

To know more about the Triumphant Milestones of St. Andrew's Church, Jaipur Click here

To know more about the Minister's Role of St. Andrew's Church, Jaipur Click here